Thursday 30 September 2010

Medical Pedicure- I'd never heard of it before but it was brilliant

My friend Christine had treated me to a pedicure for my birthday which was very kind.  I had the appointment booked for the Thursday of this week at a local beauty salon and so after returning from my holiday I’d let my feet go without any attention, they looked terrible. I had hard skin and the toenails had the residue of varnish repeatedly painted on top of each other, yuck! When I arrived at the Skin Clinic Natasha was one of the therapists in the room whilst I was having my T3 Fotona Rejuvenation laser treatment.  I think she had spotted my toes peeping out from my sandals because when I finished my laser treatment she suggested I should have a Medical Pedicure.  I was a bit embarrassed because I think my toes and feet did seem the worst for wear big time.  In the past I have had five operations on my feet and toes and so they are not the prettiest things I have on my body!
I wasn’t sure as my pedicure was booked for two days time and it had been a gift but I was quite ashamed of walking around with feet that needed a complete overhaul.  I also had what felt like an in growing toenail so that needed to be seen to as well. After the initial embarrassment at how bad they were I said to Natasha that I would go ahead.  Bemused too I had never heard of a medical pedicure before, so what was in store for my disgraced feet?  My normal pedicure I cancelled and chose a back massage instead.
Firstly it does not involve water, your feet are sprayed with antibacterial foot spray and all the utensils used for the Medical Pedicure are all sterilised and then placed under a UV light for complete bacterial free tools to start the pedicure.  Glancing at my toes they were quite awful, like little fat sausages and tired nails one of which was split.  Natasha discussed my feet and told me she felt I had vitamin D Deficiency and I did have an in grown toenail and it was painful to the touch.  Natasha explained that the pedicure was a very deep treatment and that she was able to remove the dead skin without cutting and the ingrown toenail would be removed during the process of the treatment.
Natasha started by using a small tool with a round tip that she used to grind down the length of the nail and go over the nail cleaning any stains made by the varnish and environment.  Afterwards another tool was used and this was a smaller nozzle and this was inserted around the whole toe removing skin and some of the large cuticle which had been given a chance to grow. Already my toes were looking so much better, the varnish had gone and also some residue of glitter that I’d jazzed my toes up with.  They were a real after holiday disaster.  Natasha then used another fitting of which was thicker again and she ran this over the toes, along the top of the nail and removed more hard skin.  I have such tiny nails on my smallest toes that it was amazing when she had removed some hard skin I could actually see the nail which had been covered for years and years, WOW! I had nails there!!
Placing a small implement all along the nails and removing even more residue of skin and presumably ingrained dirt Natasha was deeply engrossed in concentration.  I was sitting on a chair with one leg up in a stirrup type of leg support, feeling a little uncomfortable at one point Natasha asked if I would like a break but a little wiggle and jiggle in the seat and I was fine for her to carry on.  After really getting in every nook and cranny down the side of my toes, Natasha trimmed and used the tiniest of file and filed down the side of the nails after removing my in grown toenail, she filed up and down gently making sure the nail was not embedding anywhere on all my toes.  I found it all quite fascinating as my feet seriously were being transformed before my eyes. She continually used a disinfectant to make sure everything was kept scrupulously clean.  It was like a little operating room and Natasha wore a mask all the way through.  (It was OK not for the smell my feet were like roses they just had an awful appearance).
From horrendous to happy, my feet seemed pretty good.  A small whizzing sound and Natasha began to file down gently my hard skin, the tool she was using was a round shaped file and it rotated over the skin softening and removing the evidence of feet that had been working very hard for their owner.  Despite the scars I have on my feet (4 altogether) Natasha handled my feet in a caring way.  The second round file she attached buffed and polished the skin smoothing it down.  Finishing with a luxurious foot cream massaged in, it was divine.  We took some photos during the pedicure (I asked Natasha if they had a camera as I was amazed at the transformation when I peeped at the first foot after the treatment and looked at the foot before and compared them, we were both laughing).
So a medical pedicure is definitely more controlled with regard to infection, the session gives advice and certainly gets really deep down the side of each nail.  My toes did feel a little tender on leaving and the next day but my feet had never looked so good.  I just come back from my back massage in Heathfield (ouch it hurt) and today my feet appear brilliant and feel so clean and I bought myself some vitamin D supplements  and vitamin E oil to rub into my nails on the advice given from Natalie.
I didn’t leave with painted toe nails because I was short of time but Natasha certainly knows her stuff and told me she was trained with precision and I can see that.  I can walk now without wincing as my in grown toenail was painful but I am pain free now (Whoopee!) and I can honestly say my feet and toes have seriously never felt so good, in fact that night I got home I asked my husband to tickle them for me and I was quite proud of them as I wiggled them for his approval.

After my treatment on left foot

Before my treatment on right foot Oh dear hide!!!

                                            Natasha concentrating and working wonders!!

1 comment:

  1. IPL Treatment blog is very important, it provide the information about the Infected nails treatment. Thanks for it!!

    Infected nails treatment

    ReplyDelete